Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission to fund my avocado habit if you use these links to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You wont be charged any extra, and you will be keeping me supplied with avocados. Win win, really! I only ever recommend products, tools and services that I personally use and love. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
I always used to think that making paella was a pain, but when you’re not adding chicken and seafood it really takes no time at all!
Plant-Based Chickpea Paella
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- small pinch saffron (optional)
- 200 g paella rice
- 1 400g can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can of tomatoes
- 750 ml veg stock
- 1 1/2 cups frozen petits pois
- 1-2 Tbsp dulse flakes (or to taste)
- Dice the onion and peppers.
- Add the oil to a large sautee pan along with the chopped onions and peppers - cook for 5 mins until they start to soften.
- Now add the crushed garlic, paprika, turmeric, thyme and saffron (if using) and stir to combine. Cook this for 1-2 mins until fragrant.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (rice, chickpeas, tomatoes and stock) and cook uncovered for 15 mins.
- Stir in the petits pois and cook for another 5 mins.
- Season with the dulse flakes to taste.