Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission to fund my avocado habit if you use these links to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You wont be charged any extra, and you will be keeping me supplied with avocados. Win win, really! I only ever recommend products, tools and services that I personally use and love. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
Plant-Based Low FODMAP Moussaka
For the veg layer
- 2 aubergines (eggplants)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 large floury potatoes (I used russets)
For the mushroom sauce
- 1/2 large onion (see notes for Low FODMAP adaptation)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 250 g mushrooms (see notes for Low FODMAP adaptation)
- 2 cloves garlic (see notes for Low FODMAP adaptation)
- 1 400g can of tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
For the béchamel
- 30 g butter of choice
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 400 ml milk of choice (see notes for Low FODMAP adaptation)
- 100 g cheese of choice, grated and divided in two (see notes for Low FODMAP adaptation)
- salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the layers
- Preheat the oven to 175C fan/350F.
- Wash and slice the aubergine into ½ cm rounds, then spread on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and sprinkle both sides with salt – leave for 20mins to draw out some of the moisture.
- Wash the salt off the aubergine and pat dry with a paper towel, then return to the baking tray, drizzle over olive oil, and toss to coat both sides.
- Bake the aubergine slices for 20mins, and set aside once cooked, but leave the oven on.
- Now make the mushroom sauce by dicing the onion and adding to a saucepan with the olive oil – cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Then add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 3-4minutes until they start to release some water. Next, add the oregano, and garlic (if using).
- Now pour in the tomatoes, season to taste, and cook (covered) for 15mins.
- While the sauce cooks, peel the potatoes and slice into ½ cm rounds.
- Parboil the potatoes for 5 minutes, drain, then set aside.
- Lastly, make the bechamel sauce by melting butter in a small saucepan.
- Once melted, add flour, and stir until a thick paste forms.
- Now slowly add the milk, little by little, and whisk continuously until heated and thickened.
- Add half the cheese and some salt and pepper to taste.
To assemble the moussaka
- In a 9x13” glass dish, spread half the mushroom sauce on the bottom.
- Then follow with a layer of aubergine and a layer of potato (half of each).
- Now top with half of the bechamel.
- Repeat so you have two layers.
- Sprinkle over remaining cheese.
- Bake for 35-40mins until cheese is golden, turning half-way through cooking time.
- Remove moussaka from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes to firm up, so it doesn’t fall apart when you try to serve it – don’t skip this step!
- Serve with a green salad.