Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission to fund my avocado habit if you use these links to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You wont be charged any extra, and you will be keeping me supplied with avocados. Win win, really! I only ever recommend products, tools and services that I personally use and love. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
Aside from a bit of chopping, this soup pretty much makes itself thanks to the canned refried beans.
Try to pick a reduced salt brand and BPA-free cans.
Refried Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 red chilli
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes⠀
- 2 400g cans of refried beans (I used Amy's "light in sodium")
- 1 150g can of sweetcorn drained and rinsed⠀
- 500 ml veg stock⠀
- Optional and will depend on how well seasoned your refried beans are - cumin, chilli powder, salt and pepper
- Chop your onion, celery, chilli and bell peppers into 1cm-ish dice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and celery, and cook for around five minutes until they soften
- Next, add the chilli, garlic and peppers, and cook for a further two minutes
- Then add everything else to the pot, except for the seasonings - cover the pot and then cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through
- Remove the lid and taste for seasoning - add in what you need (I didn't need to add anything else)
- Cook for another ten minutes with the lid off
- Serve with toasted crusty bread