Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission to fund my avocado habit if you use these links to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You wont be charged any extra, and you will be keeping me supplied with avocados. Win win, really! I only ever recommend products, tools and services that I personally use and love. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
Here’s my contribution to Cinco de Mayo 🇲🇽
This recipe works with any kind of bean, but black beans are kinda my favourite!
Refried Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil or EVOO
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans drained, but 1/4 cup of aquafaba liquid reserved
- 1-2 Tbsp hot sauce of your choice
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a sautee pan and add the onions - cook for 3-4 minutes until they start to brown at the edges.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for another minute or so, until fragrant.
- Add the dried spices and stir to combine - cook for another minute.
- Add the black beans and reserved aquafaba (or 1/4 cup of hot water) to the pan, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and roughly mash the bean mixture with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- Add the hot sauce and lime juice, stir through and cook for another minute with the lid off
- Season with salt and pepper to taste