Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission to fund my avocado habit if you use these links to make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. You wont be charged any extra, and you will be keeping me supplied with avocados. Win win, really! I only ever recommend products, tools and services that I personally use and love. You can read my full affiliate disclosure HERE.
Quick Spinach Dal
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 0.5 cup moong dal (or extra red lentils)
- 1 medium red onion
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red chilli
- 1 Tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp garlic-ginger paste
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 400ml can of light coconut milk
- 350 ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 1.5 cups frozen spinach
- Thoroughly rinse the red lentils and moog dal until water runs clear, and pick through to remove any debris. Leave them to soak in cool fresh water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Dice the red onion and cherry tomatoes, and deseed and dice the red chilli, then set these aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions over a medium heat until just starting to brown at the edges.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, chopped red chilli, and all of the spices to the pan, and stir to combine - heat for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Drain the lentils and moong dal and add to the pan, stiring to coat them in the spices.
- Now add the coconut milk and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Lastly, add the vegetable stock, chopped cherry tomatoes and frozen spinach, cover the pan, and cook for 15-25 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils have started to break down (see notes). Give the mixture a stir every 5 minutes to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the pan lid for the final five minutes of cooking time to let the dal thicken up.
- Serve and enjoy!